MELLOR THROUGH THE AGES:
times of importance and times of obscurity.
Published by the Trust, 2011, 198 + x pages, £12-50 + £3-00 p&p.
Buy from Ann Hearle, The Old Vicarage, Mellor, Stockport, SK6 5LX.
Or purchase via Paypal at the bottom of the page.
Foreword: Lord Redesdale
Preface: John Hearle
PART 1: THE STORY UNFOLDS
A map of Mellor and Ludworth
1. A village between rivers and hills.
Pictorial: The gorges of Ludworth and Mellor.
2. The landscape forms
Interlude: The archaeologists.
3. The people come.
Interlude: The Dark Ages.
4. Halls and farms in the Forest of the Peak. Interlude
Interlude: The story of a house.
5. The rise and fall of industrial Mellor
Pictorial: Mellor Mill.
6. Manchester lung and commuter territory.
Pictorial: Houses, people and happenings; late 19th to 21st centuries.
PART 2: LOOKING AT THE DETAIL
7. Geology of Moor
Pictorial Excavations and Open Days
9. Natural History.
Interlude: Archives and records.
10. Land and farming.
11. Cottages, houses and halls.
Pictorial: Moorend to Marple Bridge.
12. Church, chapel and school.
Pictorial Changing population of Mellor 1750-1966.
13. Mills and industries.
14. Coal mines.
Pictorial: The last coal mining in Mellor.
15. Roads, rail and utilities.
16. Society from the 19th into the 20th century.
Pictorial: Mellor from the great days of postcards.
17. Culture and community into the 21st century.
To purchase via Paypal, please use the following buttons: